Becoming A Semester Missionary
First Baptist Church of Tahoe City and Tahoe Resort Ministries seeks to creatively and compassionately reveal the presence of God to those who live, work, and play in the resort communities along the North Shore of beautiful Lake Tahoe. We do this by showing grace to and care for children and families of both locals and guests of our area. Supervisors for this project are Scott Capshaw, Debbie Wohler and Nell Jackson.
We are seeking 8 outgoing, energetic, hardworking, and organized semester missionaries for both the Spring semester (end of December to beginning of June) and Fall semester (mid August to mid December). You must love children and be a teachable, team player! We need leaders who possess good character. We have high standards because we believe God deserves our very best!
What will you be doing?
- 3 students will work with our A+ Before and After School program (K-6th) and 4 students will work with our A+ Preschool program (3-5 year olds). Between these two programs we have 90-100 children a day.
- In both programs, the student will lead Bible stories, learning activities, crafts, educational centers, and games.
- You will be required to participate in daily cleaning and snow shoveling in the winter. You must not be afraid of long hours and hard work
What’s in it for you?
- Each month you will receive a $300 stipend. In addition, you will receive airfare, housing, a $5,000 health insurance policy, food, and local transportation.
- You will be investing yourself into the lives of the children and families of this community.
- You will give yourself away for the high glory of God and grow in your relationship with Christ.
- You will learn about yourself and your giftedness, communication skills, dealing with other personality types, conflict resolution skills, life skills, organizational skills, and ministry skills. Christ will meet you in this place as you come and serve among us. 95% of students who have served with us say that Tahoe was a life changing experience for them.
- The church, the community, and the staff will invest their hearts and lives in you.
- We are very relationship oriented and will love and mentor you. We seek to train you to be the leaders of the future. God gives you to us for a moment in time and we seek to make those moments count!
- A wonderful experience to add to your resume!
Most four year degrees and some two year degrees will qualify to work with our K-6 program. For our preschool positions, each student will need to have 12 semester hours of early childhood education classes. These classes can be in the areas of: child development, child, family, and community, and curriculum. Early childhood majors, family study majors, and human growth and development majors qualify for the preschool. There are other education classes that count, so call us if you think you are close to these needed classes.
Ski ministry will be another area of ministry. (Spring Semester only) Students would lead worship services on the ski slopes on Sunday afternoons. You do not need to already know how to ski to do this ministry. We will teach you to ski, how to lead a service, and we will provide the necessary clothing and equipment.
My Morning Out is a ministry to preschool children held on Tuesday mornings from 9:00-noon.
Parents’ Night Out is a once a month ministry for children ages birth through 12. This ministry is held the first Friday night of each month from 6:00-10:00 p.m. Students lead Bible stories, games, crafts, etc.
Ministries at the schools- On Wednesday mornings, students volunteer in a local school classroom.
I’m interested. What’s the next step?
Housing And Food
The missionaries will be housed at the First Baptist Church of Tahoe City. There are two dorm rooms with bunk beds, which sleep 12 people. There are four showers, ten toilets, commercial kitchen, TV, VCR, DVD, washer, dryer, CD players, and 7 computers with high-speed Internet access. We also have wireless internet available. If you have a laptop you are welcome to bring it. There are CD players in each dorm room. Money will be provided for food. You will be responsible for buying and preparing your own food.
- The missionaries will be given the use of two seven passenger Toyota Siennas. We will pay for gas on all ministry related driving. You are responsible for putting gas in the vehicles when you use the vehicles for your own personal use. Before any missionary drives the car they must talk with Debbie about their driving history (accidents, tickets). Debbie or Nell must be made aware of any trips planned outside the Tahoe Basin.
- TART, our local public bus, runs every half hour. That phone number is 530.581.6365. Please call for prices and information.
- Another option is to get to know some of our church people or Big A and A+ parents and go on outings and hikes with them. They have cars!
Fill out this information that will be emailed to Debbie Wohler:
She will contact you and will talk more about the position, who you are, and who we are. You will both pray and seek God’s leadership on a decision.
Thank you for your time and consideration. If you feel God leading you to find out more about this position please contact Debbie in one of the following ways.
P.O. Box 7452
Tahoe City, CA 96145
530.583.2925 (Pacific Standard Time)