Becoming a Summer or Semester Missionary
First Baptist Church of Tahoe City and Tahoe Resort Ministries seeks to creatively and compassionately reveal the presence of God to those who live, work, and play in the resort communities along the North Shore of beautiful Lake Tahoe. We do this by showing grace to and care for children and families of both locals and guests of our area. Supervisors for this project are Scott Capshaw, Debbie Wohler and Nell Jackson.
Summer Ministry Activities
- Big A Club. Summer enrichment program for school-age children Tuesdays through Fridays from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Click HERE for more information.
- Parent’s Night Out. On the first Friday evening of each month we give parents a chance to renew their relationships by providing quality childcare. This event lasts 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Click HERE for more information.
- A+ is held each Tuesday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. and from 2:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Click HERE for more information.
- Each Saturday at 11:00 a.m. a staff meeting will be held. On Saturdays you will work on lesson plans for the following week and do your elective ministries. Lesson plans will be checked at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday evenings by one of the supervisors.
- You will be an integral part of our church and we ask that you plan to be involved in some aspect of the Sunday morning worship. At times you will be asked to help with Sunday School, nursery, youth, or music.
- Sunday afternoon and evening and all day Monday of each week is your day off.
We are offering the following electives to enhance your ministry in Tahoe City. These are optional. Please do not select more than one or two.
- Youth Ministry. Only 2-3 missionaries will be allowed to choose this elective. All missionaries who are interested in this ministry must interview with Craig Smith.
- Music Ministry/Drama Ministry
- Beach Ministry
- Church Recreation/Fellowships
- Building Maintenance
- College Ministry
- Ministries can be designed to make use of your gifts
Housing And Food
The missionaries will be housed at the First Baptist Church of Tahoe City. There are two dorm rooms with bunk beds, which sleep 12 people. There are four showers, ten toilets, commercial kitchen, TV, VCR, DVD, washer, dryer, CD players, and 7 computers with high-speed Internet access. We also have wireless internet available. If you have a laptop you are welcome to bring it. There are CD players in each dorm room. Money will be provided for food. You will be responsible for buying and preparing your own food.
- The missionaries will be given the use of two seven passenger Toyota Siennas. We will pay for gas on all ministry related driving. You are responsible for putting gas in the vehicles when you use the vehicles for your own personal use. Before any missionary drives the car they must talk with Debbie about their driving history (accidents, tickets). Debbie or Nell must be made aware of any trips planned outside the Tahoe Basin.
- TART, our local public bus, runs every half hour. That phone number is 530.581.6365. Please call for prices and information.
- Another option is to get to know some of our church people or Big A and A+ parents and go on outings and hikes with them. They have cars!
Fill out this information that will be emailed to Debbie Wohler:
She will contact you and will talk more about the position, who you are, and who we are. You will both pray and seek God’s leadership on a decision.
Thank you for your time and consideration. If you feel God leading you to find out more about this position please contact Debbie in one of the following ways.
P.O. Box 7452
Tahoe City, CA 96145
530.583.2925 (Pacific Standard Time)